CLOSED

This blog is now closed. Please visit ajgibson.org instead

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Glorifying God for running water

We just spent the last 24 hours without water in our house. I'm not sure what happened, but there was a water "outage" in several neighborhoods in our area. Nothing like loosing running water for a day to make you appreciate the luxury. In fact, as I thought about not having water....well, ok, as I grumbled about not having water I was rebuked for my ungratefulness. I really should be thankful. If I should glorify God in even the smallest things of life like eating and drinking (see 1 Cor. 10:31) then surely I should be able to glorify him in my use of the luxuries of life . . . like running water. So how do I glorify God in eating and drinking and using running water? Well, I think that more than anything else, I do it by partaking of those things thankfully. As Paul says in the verse before 1 Cor. 10:31, I can partake of these things "with thankfulness." When I eat or drink or use running water I should do so with a sense of gratitude because I recognize that it comes from God. This kind of humble, thankful dependence upon him glorifies him.

With that in mind, I began to form a list of reasons that I am thankful for running water. This is my attempt to glorify God for the running water that I (usually) have in my house.
  1. I'm thankful that God has called me to minister in a country and city where running water is a normal part of life. (Some of my friends live in countries/places with none and most of the people in our mission church do not have running water in their homes.)
  2. I'm thankful that the running water that we have in our home is potable. (Contrary to popular opinion not all the water in Mexico makes one deathly ill.)
  3. I'm thankful that only 24 out of the 20,640 hours that we've lived in Mexico have been waterless.
  4. I'm thankful that I do not have to take a shower with only one gallon of water like I did when I was a kid (when my family traveled in our camper in Mexico).
  5. I'm thankful that my wife does not have to wash our laundry by hand (like my mom did when we traveled in Mexico).
Well, there it is. I'm glad for this little lesson. I guess a day of rationing bathroom breaks was worth being reminded that whether I eat, or drink, or use running water, I should do it to the glory of God. "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes" (Ps 119:71)

1 comment:

KCC said...

hello, aj & ruth! thank you for doing this! i will visit often!