CLOSED

This blog is now closed. Please visit ajgibson.org instead

Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Essence of the Gospel by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

This morning I was reading my favorite preacher, D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones on 2 Peter 1:1-2. Here's the Doctor's explanation of the essence of the Gospel:
The message is, that there is only one way whereby man can be right, or righteous, in the sight of God; and that is by the righteousness that is given to us in Christ. The problem confronting man is how to be just with God. It is certainly very right to come back to God and to believe in God, but the first question is, How can I do this? God is Holy, God is Absolute, 'God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.' I am sinful. What can I do? The Old Testament contains a law, and the law said, If you do these things you will be right with God. And the tragedy is that so many people still try to do that. Yes, they say, we must be right with God. But how do I become right with God? How can I live that new life? I read the Commandments, I do my best to keep them -- I try to get right with God. But by my own efforts and exertions I will never put myself right with God. To believe that I can is in utter antithesis to and a contradiction of the Christian Gospel.

What is the Gospel? It is this . . . that Jesus Christ of Nazareth was none other than the only begotten Son of God, and that He had come on earth for one thing only, and that was that He might bear the sins of man Himself. In Christ God has dealt with the sin of mankind; He has punished sin there, He has done away with it. How can a man be right with God? Believe that, submit yourself to it, and say: I have no righteousness of my own; I accept the righteousness that God gives me in Christ; and, clothed in that I can stand and face God and the righteousness of God. That is the essence of the Christian faith.

Wow! That is truly "precious" gospel (2 Pet 2:1). Lloyd-Jones ends his sermon with this challenge:
It does not matter who you are, or where you come from; if you are a Christian, that is your faith, that is what you believe. You will find it all in Christ. You see that without Him you are lost and nothing, but in Him you are complete, for He 'of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.' He is my All -- Christ is all and in all. He is everything. Jesus Christ! And the faith in Him is 'precious' to my soul because of these amazing things He has done for me, and is still doing to me, and will yet do for me until I stand complete in Him in the presence of God. is the faith precious to you? It is precious to all who are truly Christian (italics added).
Amen!

No comments: